TICKET PRICE (excluding Eventbrite service fee): $20
Meet your host!
Hello, I’m Sugu, a 35-year-old Warehouse Assistant who has been working at Freshening since 2018. When I was 18, I left my family and friends in Pahang and started my career as an Abbatoir worker at Woodlands. However, after a decade, I decided to make a career change and transitioned to printing and eventually warehousing at Freshening.
What is a typical day like at work?
I live in Skudai, and my day starts early at 4am when I wake up to commute to work. I start my day by preparing boxes for delivery and then organizing and stacking boxes at the warehouse. My day ends after I receive all deliveries for the day. After a long day at work, I usually reach home only after 9pm. Despite the long and tiring journey, I work hard to support my wife and two children back at home.
What do you enjoy most about your job?
I appreciate my company’s culture, which is strict but tight-knit. My good grasp of Mandarin has helped me make new friends here, making work more bearable. One time during dinner and dance, I dressed up as the kopitiam uncle, which everyone found hilarious! I am glad to have put a smile on everyone’s faces.
Meet your host!
Hello, I’m Eric Tham, but you can just call me Ah Cang. I’m 22 years old and I have been working here for 5 years now. Coming from Ipoh, my family is split between Malaysia and Singapore, with my parents and one younger sister back home, and the rest of my siblings here in Singapore. When I’m not at work, I head to the stadium to play basketball and badminton, and I’ve made some great friends doing so. We often grab dinner together, and it’s a great way to unwind!
How was it like moving to Singapore?
Making the move to Singapore was a dream come true, but it wasn’t easy at first. My income was tight, and I struggled with English in the beginning. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to study marketing management at Kaplan during my time here. My work in e-commerce has also helped me improve my language skills as I communicate with customers daily. As a result, I was able to take the lead in implementing a system which keeps track of all customer communications and orders, which has helped us manage our deliveries better.
What do you hope to gain from this job experience?
I plan to return to Malaysia and set up my own e-commerce platform and engage in reselling. I want to learn the basics in Singapore and head back once I am ready. My goal is to be self-sufficient and start small. I am really grateful that my boss has recognised my efforts, which keeps me motivated to work harder.
Who should come?
- Participants must be 13 years old and above to participate in this tour.
- Participants are encouraged to dress comfortably and wear covered shoes.
What to bring:
- Participants should bring along a mask, an umbrella, hand sanitiser, insect repellent, and a bottle of water.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own earphones (with a standard 3.5mm audio jack) as radio guides will be used for the tour.
- Asthmatic individuals are encouraged to bring their inhaler.
Please note that:
- All participants must be fully vaccinated.
- Photography is not allowed in the factory.
- Parking is not available at the factory. Kindly park your car at White Sands Shopping Mall and walk over.
- The tour will proceed rain or shine.
- The event is not wheel-chair friendly.