Bounded by Ridout Road, Pierce Road, Holland Road and Queensway, Ridout and Holland Park Conservation Area comprises of 27 good class bungalows designed in Art Deco, Victorian and Black and White architectural styles.
According to architect Julian Davison, the increased military presence in Singapore from the 1920s brought about by ongoing Japanese aggression, resulted in the expansion of existing facilities to accommodate an increasing number of British military personnel and their families domiciled on the island.
The colonial government bought large tracts of land from rubber estates in Ulu Pandan, Holland and Alexandra between 1900s and 1920s to construct bungalows and barracks as married quarters for officers and their families. As a result, Ridout and Holand Park became the earliest of the postwar military estates.
23 Ridout Road
Inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, 23 Ridout Road is a conserved good class bungalow designed by notable architect Frank W Brewer. The former LW Geddes house featured a distinctive architectural style that include exposed bricks and textured plasterwork. 23 Ridout Road serves as the official residence for the ambassador of the Netherlands Embassy in Singapore.
2 Pierce Drive
Constructed with timber frames, 2 Pierce Drive is typified by the streamling of classical motifs to simple geometric patterns and designs and interlocking clay roof tiles.
The India House
The India House is a two-storey tropical black and white bungalow located on 2 Pierce Road. The Tudor-bethan bungalow was thought to be commissioned by wealthy businessman, Ong Sam Leong, in 1911.
In 1949, the Government of India purchased the bungalow and rebuilt the bungalow to reinstate its former features. The bungalow serves as the residence for the High Commissioner of India and it was gazetted for conservation in 1991.