Alexandra Fire Station is Singapore’s third fire station. Built at a cost of $1,500,000, the Fire Station was officially opened on 25 February 1954 by then Governor of Singapore, Sir John Nicoll, to serve a rapidly expanding industrial area in Alexandra and train future firemen for the Singapore Fire Brigade. The station replaced the colonial Auxiliary Fire Brigade which had 15 officers and 60 firemen stationed at the nearby Archipelago Brewery Company.
The station comprised a garage for four fire engines and an ambulance; repair workshops to replace the ageing facilities at Hill Street Fire Station; staff quarters for one officer-in-charge, 2 senior officers, 12 sub-officers, 50 married firemen and 24 single firemen; an imposing 164 feet fire tower used for hose drying, radio communication and as a look-out post to locate fires; a 20-foot deep well for testing the lifting powers of engine pumps; and recreational facilities for both firemen and their families. The curved frontage of the station was also specifically designed to give an easy turnout to engines rushing out to answer fire calls.
Firemen from the station took part in many rescue operations. In May 1961, fire fighters from Alexandra Fire Station went to the site of fire at Bukit Ho Swee and rescued villagers from the squatter settlement. The ‘devastating’ fire had left 16,000 villagers homeless and destroyed more than 2,200 attap houses. In April 1972, five reported explosions at the Diethelm Aluminum Factory along Alexandra Road injured 2 workers and damaged property worth $100,000. Fire fighters from the Station took four hours to bring the fire under control.
In 2002, Alexandra Fire Station relocated to a temporary site at Tanglin Halt to facilitate the construction of a $30.6 million complex to house both the Singapore Civil Defence Force and the Singapore Police Force. In 2005, it returned to its present site at Queensway, where it is home to the headquarters for the 1st Civil Defence Division.