Kuil Sri Muneeswaran
ஸ்ரீ முனீஸ்வரன் ஆலய்ம்
The Sri Muneeswaran Temple at Commonwealth Drive is believed to be Southeast Asia’s largest shrine for the Sri Muneeswaran deity. Built at a cost of $2,000,000, the Temple was consecrated on 1 February 1998 to replace the old Queensway Muneeswaran Temple, which was demolished for a road widening project. In the Temple compound stood a 3-storey multi-purpose hall, administrative offices and a prayer hall.
Sri Muneeswaran Temple first started as a shrine in 1932 when Malayan Railway employees living in Queenstown planted a sulam (or trident) and a triangular stone in an attap hut under a banyan tree. This wooden hut was known as the Muniandy Temple where Hindu devotees would congregate for daily prayers. In January 1970, a new $7,000 Temple was constructed along Queensway to replace the shrine. Statues of deities such as Muneeswaran, Vinayagar, Mariamman and Murugan were imported from India.
The Queensway Muneeswaran Temple was known for its close proximity to the former Malayan Railways. Anantha Sayanam, 48, was a long time worshipper at the Temple. He recalled, “The Temple stood on land belonging to the Malayan Railways. When the trains travelled past the Temple, they would sound their horn and the children would dash towards the tracks.”
After relocating to Commonwealth Drive, the Temple underwent several renovations in 2004, 2008 and 2011 to expand its facilities so as to cater to the growing congregation of Hindu devotees in Queenstown. The Temple held her 4th consecration ceremony on 10 July 2011.