Pusat Kejiranan Tanglin Halt
ங்களின் ால்ட் மார்கெட்
Tanglin Halt is synonymous to Queenstown. It was the among the earliest neighbourhoods built by the Housing Development Board. Developed between 1960 and 1967, the uniform row of ten-storey housing blocks spawned the precinct’s colloquial name Tanglin Halt chap lau or ten storeys in Hokkien.
The first road that bears the word "Tanglin" is Tanglin Road, which got its name from the house of lawyer William Napier, located in the area on 27 ha of hilly land. Originally, Napier Road led to William Napier's house, called "Tang Leng," which was built in 1854. The house was named after the "tua tang leng" or hokkien for great eastern hill peaks. This is because the area near Tanglin was a hilly region. Some of the hills near Tanglin include Goodwood Nassim, Cluny, Clairn, Mount Elizabeth and Claymore.
After the first Raffles' Town Plan drafted in 1822, the Teochews ventured out of Chinatown or Telok Ayer and resided in the hills of Tanglin, growing pepper, nutmeg and gambier. These spices were grown thanks to the growing uses of rubber, which brought traders from all over the world to Singapore. The Europeans, mainly the Scottish, followed the Teochews are started their spice plantations and built bungalows and villas on the various hills
The winding Tanglin Road used to connect from Orchard Road to Queensway. After a major reconfiguration in the transport network in the late 1940s and early 1950s when the British made plans to develop Queenstown to ease the situation of overcrowding in the city centre and roads branched out of Alexandra Road to serve the growing estate.
Tanglin "Halt" Road, which is located near the south eastern end of the former Tanglin Road, was named after the KTM trains which used to stopped or "halt" at Archipelago Brewery (Present IKEA) in Alexandra Road. IKEA was formerly the "warehouse" for the brewerage company and the beer products are loaded to a container train before exporting to Tanjong Pagar Railway to be exported via the ports or to the settlements in Malaya.
Landmarks within Tanglin Halt
Tanglin Halt is home to two outstanding places of worship – the Church of the Blessed Sacrament and Sri Muneeswaran Temple. Built in 1965, the Church of the Blessed Sacrament , with its iconic blue slate roof has been conserved by the Urban Redevelopment Authority in recognition for its architectural merits. The Sri Muneeswaran Temple started as a railway shrine in 1931. It is the biggest temple dedicated to Sri Muneeswaran in Southeast Asia.
Tanglin Halt is one of the few places left in Singapore where Singapore Improvement Trust flats are preserved. These flats are located next to the KTM Tracks, which will be disused come July 2011.