Kuil Tiong Ghee
Tiong Ghee Temple is Queenstown’s oldest Taoist temple. The current temple at Stirling Road was built in 1973 to replace the old village temple at Boh Beh Kang village (Hokkien: 无尾港; No tail river) which was demolished in 1968 for the development of Mei Ling estate.
Designed in the traditional Chinese architectural style, the Temple features a gabled roof with a sweeping curvature that is topped with a ridge of tiles and ceramic figurines for both decorative and structural purposes. In addition, the pair of dragon figurines and lion statues at the entrance of the Temple are meticulously carved and arranged so that they are bilaterally symmetric. The main deity, Guan Gong (Chinese: 关公), is located in the main hall and the lesser deities are placed in the back hall and at the side of the temple.
The history of Tiong Ghee Temple can be traced to 1931, when an altar was installed in an attap hut of a villager living in Boh Beh Kang village. A few years later, a storage house in the village was converted into a temple and was named Ghee Tiong Temple (Chinese: 义; righteousness and 忠; loyalty). Dedicated to the Taoist deity, Guan Gong, the Temple provided an avenue for villagers to seek spiritual comfort and consult mediums on health and husbandry matters. During festive occasions, troupes were invited to perform puppet shows in Hokkien and Teochew. After World War II, the villagers constructed a bigger temple at Hong Yin Hill. The Temple was later renamed Tiong Ghee Temple in 1966.
Today, the Temple remains a gathering point for former Boh Beh Kang villagers and serves as a lasting reminder of Queenstown’s past.